16 social media statistics that might surprise you

Over the last few months, I’ve bookmarked and read hundreds of posts. And, like many of you, have catalogued the myriad of social media stats that come our way each day.

There’s almost too many social media stats–but a few of my favorite posts with aggregated stats are this one from B2B Social Media and this one from Danny Brown.

But, instead of giving you yet another post with stats that support this digital marketing claim or that, I thought I’d share a few that really raised an eyebrow for me over the last few months.

* 75 percent of Brand ‘Likes’ on Facebook come from advertisements. (Mashable)

* More than 250 million people use Facebook Connect every month. (Facebook)

* College-aged kids (18-24) made up the fastest growing segment of users on Facebook in 2010. (AllFacebook.com)

* Chicago was the fastest growing city on Facebook in terms of usage in 2010 (Houston was a close second). (AllFacebook.com)

* During the average 20-minute period in 2010, there were: 1,5870,000 wall posts, 2,716,000 photos uploaded and 10,208,000 comments posted. (AllFacebook.com)

* Indonesia has the second largest population on Facebook http://bit.ly/gBbMrL

* Since April, Twitter has gained 40 million users and a 62 percent increase in mobile use of the platform (Source: ClickZ)

* From December 2009 to December 2010, users with a biography listed on Twitter increased from 31 percent to 69 percent. (Pew)

* Friday at 4 p.m. ET: The most retweetable day/time of the week. (via Dan Zarella and HubSpot)

* 48%: The percentage of Twitter users that either never or rarely check Twitter. (The Next Web).

* The average American Internet user watches 30 minutes of video online per day [40 percent increase over 2009] (comScore) Compared to 5 hours of television per day

* 22 percent of Fortune 500 companies now have a public-facing blog that has at least one post in the past 12 months (comScore)

* 4 percent of adults on the Internet use location-based services (Pew Internet Research)

* Social networking site usage grew 88 percent among Internet users aged 55-64 between April 2009 and May 2010 (Pew Research)

* In 2009, social gamers bought $2.2 billion in virtual goods; Predicted to increase to $6 billion by 2013. (NPD Group)

* 75 percent: The percentage of U.S. iPad users that are interested in seeing videos within magazine ads on their iPad. (eMarketer via David Erickson)

* The change in social media use among Baby Boomers 55-64 rose from 9% in Dec. 2008 to 43% in Dec. 2010 (Marketingcharts.com via David Erickson)

231 comments on “16 social media statistics that might surprise you

1. jlbraaten says:

I’m always shocked by numbers like these. 5 hours of television?! I just don’t know where you would find that kind of time. I guess we know what the 48% of inactive Twitter users are doing.

2. Annie says:

This is a great list Arik – especially this stat – “75 percent of Brand ‘Likes’ on Facebook come from advertisements.” Sometimes as marketing strategists, we get caught up in trying to create out-of-the-box fan acquisition campaigns for our clients, while including Facebook ads as a secondary tactic. But this stat is quite interesting, and makes me realize that Facebook advertising should be more of a primary tactic in fan acquisition. Thanks again Arik!

3. Always looking for better insight into social sites and how to use them for our advantage. Unfortunately very few people have concrete solutions.

4. 02YamahaR1000 says:

the watching video thing strikes me a bit, video watchers only seem to watch a video for less than a minute before moving on to the next, given that statistic – surfers watch 30-40 videos a day on (probably) YouTube. Good post.

5. Arik Hanson says:

Exactly, Annie. Those little ads can be pretty effective. The key is once you “acquire” the fan to keep them engaged and/or transform them into an evangelist for your brand.

6. Arik Hanson says:

Math sounds about right.And, that number seems high, doesn’t it? The stat I’d like to see is how much “video” are folks watching online vs. via TV (including Netflix, Hulu, YT, etc.)

7. Danny Brown says:

See, now THIS is the type of “list post” that I could read all day, mate. Great figures, great resources – bookmarked.

8. Mark Longbottom says:

Stats that simply verify people use effective technology to communicate and access information, Good to see that twitter users that log back in has gone up to 52% over the past 2 years not a surprise but an interesting read.

9. Arik, aloha. Thx so much for this compilation. Love these stats so have bookmarked this for easy reference. Aloha. Janet

10. 5 minutes of television a day!!!!

11. Great stats here! I would never have thought that Fridays at 4 p.m. ET was the most retweetable time of the week. I’m willing to guess that most of those tweets are made from “work”.

12. jwhitcomb says:

Arik completely agree which makes me wonder would a brand still get the likes if their page didn’t have that engaging content to begin with?

13. jwhitcomb says:

14. 75 percent of Brand ‘Likes’ on Facebook come from advertisements. (Mashable)… Do you mean Facebook ads of Ads in general?

Passion makes the difference

15. Arik Hanson says:

I believe that was Facebook ads–not ads in general.

16. Smartket says:

What about gaming jumping to $6 billion by 2013. Think about the time people spend mastering a game. That is the one that blows my mind.

17. jlbraaten says:

As someone who used to play Word of Warcraft, this one I actually understand. It’s easy to get sucked into some of today’s games.

18. Anonymous says:

Some fascinating observations there. Only 4% of adults using location-based services. Really not much. Wonder if that will expand over the coming months.

Thanks for compiling the list

19. whorecake says:

you guys are all retarded. I am on twitter like 40 hours per week and i spend more than that watching tv. facebook consumes most of my time though so i guess i’m on that a lot more. but hey what else can someone lazy with no life do?

20. Woopzi says:

get a life maybe??

21. I’ve really enjoyed reading your different articles. They are so informative and interesting.

22. Free Man says:

These are last year statistics now there must be much boost in the figures.

23. Taran says:

Very interesting stats.You have shared very nice info, this post has good.Thanks for sharing this. http://www.moonfiller.com

24. in my country dominated our class but went down from his pedestal, now it is the era of Facebook…

25. interesting statement, I wonder if he meant it…

26. I think the theme is clever, curious…

27. frezpol says:

nice blog, beautiful pictures…

28. nauka jezyka says:

“I wonder – he said – and the stars shine so that everyone can one day find his own.” – Antoine de Saint-Exupéry…

29. kolagen says:

“The fact that I’m silent, does not mean that I have nothing to say.” – Jonathan Carroll…

30. “The person you love at 72% consists of water …” but without the liquid-you can not live…http://podroza-ustka.pl/

31. “Sometimes the devil tempts me to believe in God.”      Stanislaw Jerzy Lec

32. There is no genius without a grain of madness

33. rolety says:

great article, I did not know it was so interesting

34. I think this is a very forward-looking about, we should devote more time….http://unoxpoznan.pl/

35. lyzkikoparek says:

Thoughts are invisible, but folly is visible …http://lyzkikoparkowe.com.pl/

36. Thanks for sharing a great resource with us really helpful for everyone  whoever want to make the campaign successful

37. Great post!! I feel glad to read more about these social media strategies here. Very simple and effective blog. You are right it really surprise me this show that how much i lack in knowledge of SEO and its strategies. Thanks for improve my skills!!