What’s on your PR bucket list?

I saw a short message from friend Heather Whaling this past weekend. It read:

Turns out that bucket list item was this (congratulations, Heather!):

That got me thinking. I’ve had a personal “bucket list” for years. Among the items on that list:

* Living in a small, quaint villa in St. John in Β the USVI at some point in my life

* Watching my kids graduate high school and college

* Owning a small boat and sailing around Minnesota lakes in the summer

* Visiting Australia, New Zealand and Norway (and other parts of Scandanavia) before I leave this Earth

The list is much bigger, but that gives you a flavor.

I’ve put a lot of thought into that list over the years. And I’ve even been able to check off a few items already (becoming a father, visiting Hawaii, for example). But, as great as that list is, it’s purely a personal list.

I don’t have a “professional bucket list.” A PR bucket list.

Until now.

I’m officially starting my PR bucket list today. And, because one of the best lessons I’ve learned along the way is to “always share your dreams” (you never know who might be there to help at some point), I’m going to share with you my initial stab at mine (at least as of Nov. 30, 2011).

Let me preface this by saying my PR bucket list is probably going to be a bit more non-traditional than most. It doesn’t include earning a spot on the Today Show. Or, in the New York Times. Or, even on 60 Minutes. No, mine’s a little more non-traditional list (go figure, I’m a fairly non-traditional kinda guy).

Here goes (in no particular order):

* Managing media for a client at the PGA Championship or managing a trade show booth at the PGA Merchandise Show (I came *this* close to ticking this one off a number of years ago)

* Help a craft brewery launch a new beer and attend the Great American Beer Festival (I’m convinced this one is attainable).

* Advise a major league sports team (preferably in professional baseball or football) on PR/communications/marketing issues (or, as an alternative, advise a PGA TOUR player in the same way)

* Serve as an adjunct professor teaching digital marketing/PR for a college or university (I have designs on this one soon)

* Work for the Sports Information Director’s office at either the University of Kansas (where I attended for a year) or a mid-level university (I see this as a potential role later in life that may couple with a role coaching said University’s golf club/team)

* Write a guest post/regular column for one of the following online publications: Harvard Business Review, Forbes, Huffington Post or Fast Company.

* Sit on the boards of at least two non-profit organizations in areas I’m passionate about by the time I’m 50 (gotta get crackin on this one–only 11 years left!)

* Help out (maybe even volunteer) to help the media/PR team for a future Ryder Cup event (this is a definite possibility as the Ryder Cup is coming to Minnesota in 2016!)

* I also want to add a bucket list goal around my blog, but I’m not quite sure how to frame that–any ideas?

So, that’s the start to my list. I’m sure it will change over time, but it’s a good start for now.

What about you? What’s on your PR bucket list?

46 comments on “What’s on your PR bucket list?

1. HeatherWhaling says:

I LOVE this! You make me want to formalize (and maybe even share!) my own list. Hmm …

2. LauraScholz says:

Oh, this is so good! And I love that they align with your passions and interests, rather than specific pubs. My wheels are turning!

@HeatherWhaling Giddy-up Whaling…

@LauraScholz Post yours, Laura?

5. rachaelseda says:

I like this idea and really enjoyed learning about yours. Now I have to get cracking on my list!

6. LauraScholz says:

Thinking about it! :) @arikhanson

7. LizzHarmon says:

I loved reading your list, Arik and getting to know you better. Although reading it, I must say, makes me feel like a bit of slacker. I’m chalking that up to being older than you and having been at this much longer. Yeah, that’s it. My PR bucket list has things on it I wouldn’t want the clients or media to see, so I’ll keep it private, for now. You’ve nudged me though, so I’ll refine it a bit. And I’ll add to it. Thank you.

8. Great stuff, arikhanson . I think you might like golf ;). In all honesty, I love your goals around advising a sports team. I know you said from a PR perspective, but how about just advising a sports team :).

I was looking for a blog post tonight and I think I’ll go bucket list. Then you, prtini and anyone else who takes the challenge can compare and work on helping each other out.

I know the first item on my list, without a doubt, would be to write a book. Cheers!

9. HeatherWhaling says:

@JGoldsborough Justin, go write that book!! Or, at least get it started. :)

10. HeatherWhaling says:

@LauraScholz@arikhanson Perhaps a Tumblr for bucket lists? :)

11. ValerieSimon says:

@HeatherWhaling Heather, I’ll second that. @JGoldsborough get writing! Have a feeling there is a book in your future. Might as well get started NOW!

12. ValerieSimon says:

Specific, measurable, attainable, realistic, timely… these really represent the “SMART” goals we so often hear about. I have a feeling you’ll be checking these items off in short order. And I cannot wait to hear what you come up with next. Thanks for the inspiration… I have a feeling there will be many PR bucket lists (and maybe even follow up posts) written tonight :)

13. MattLaCasse says:

My list will premiere tomorrow morning. Two of mine are incredibly unrealistic; but three of them are absolutely attainable over the course of my career.

You have a great list here, Arik! It was a great read. Excited to see you check these off!

14. Nikki_Little says:

@JGoldsborough If you write that book, you better find a way to include some baseball references! πŸ˜‰

15. @arikhanson I love this idea, Arik. This is such a great list. Minus the whole Jayhawk item. I’m not a fan of KU sports at all. Proud Mizzou alum here. :)

16. @ValerieSimon@HeatherWhaling Thanks for the encouragement, friends. Think I just need help getting started. Hoping to talk to some folks like geoffliving and dbreakenridge who know how the process works. And I’d be open to any other advice you might have.

17. @Nikki_Little Totally, nikki_little . In fact, you’ll see in my bucket list post tomorrow that one of the topics I’ve always wanted to write about is underdogs in sports.

18. lulugrimm says:

Arik – Absolutely love this! Thanks for sharing. Loved reading and learning these things about you. I need to think about mine. Teaching in some capacity (if I could be succinct enough) is definitely on mine. Looking forward to thinking about this further.

19. kwatt says:

Great list. I volunteered in the media tent at Hazeltine in 2009, it was interesting and really really fun.

20. Lisa Gerber says:

@JGoldsborough@Nikki_Littlenikki_little write the book! write the book!!!

21. Lisa Gerber says:

I love your list!!! especially the Beer Festival. :) I’ll have to create more of a list but one item is to work with smaller independent wineries in France and to handle their PR in the states. This will likely be a semi-retired project since it certainly won’t make me rich, but will make me very happy.

22. dbreakenridge says:

Always happy to help you Justin! Anytime you want to chat about the process, just let me know. @JGoldsborough @ValerieSimon @HeatherWhaling geoffliving dbreakenridge

23. MonicaDevlin says:

Thanks for sharing and inspiring others (myself included) to develop their own professional bucket list. The common thread found in yours definitely revolves around your love of golf and other passions. In that vein, I’ve always wanted to help strategically spread the love and promote the value of libraries and independent bookstores in the digital age. Their role is evolving but still very much relevant.

@LizzHarmon Slacker? I highly doubt it. Keep in mind, this is a bucket list. Some are obviously far-reaching. Others are relatively attainable. But, I do want to get to them all. You should see my full personal list. It’s pretty ridiculous πŸ˜‰

@rachaelseda Giddy-up @rachaelseda

@JGoldsboroughprtini First step. Start writing. On a napkin. In a journal. On your kitchen counter. START WRITING IT!

@MattLaCasse Love the singing at Wrigley thing. See, now I’ll tell you why you write these down and share them. I read that and loved it. I will probably always remember that now. And who knows when I might run into someone who has influence on that decision at Wrigley. Most likely a long shot, but you never know, right? And, if that happens, guess who the first person I’m going to mention will be? That’s how dreams come true my friend.

@jessicamalnik Painfully aware, Jessica. Don’t be surprised if you’re blocked from future comments πŸ˜‰

@kwatt We may need to talk. I really want to do that at the Ryder Cup in 2016. Got a few connections with the MGA, but would love to chat at some point and hear about your experience. I think Jeff Shelman may have also done something like that.

@Lisa Gerber Yes, the beer one is pretty high on mine. In fact, I have a few strategies to make that a reality in 2012. We’ll see. You should totally start thinking about your winery goal. I mean, you could easily do that in retirement, right?

@MonicaDevlin That’s a very interesting idea, Monica. How can you make that happen? What’s the first step?

34. KellyGroehler says:

Arik: Let’s talk beer in 2012.

@KellyGroehler You don’t have to tell me that twice, KG.

36. MattLaCasse says:

@arikhanson Couldn’t agree more. What you want can’t come true without the help of others and they don’t know about it unless you share it. Thanks for the inspiration to write it down!

37. Lisa Gerber says:

@arikhanson excellent. I’ll be waiting and watching. The other cool thing about publishing your bucket list is it sort of holds you accountable for pursing your dreams!

And yes, I will totally do this one day. I want to live part time over there too. But right now, all my energy is on Spin Sucks Pro. :)

38. @arikhanson Haha. Now trying to block me since I’m a KU Jayhawks hater? Need I remind you who won the Border War showdown in KC last week. :)

@jessicamalnik Keep in mind, football means nothing to me. It’s all about the round-ball. And I think we know who owns that border battle…

40. kwatt says:

@arikhanson The same member has been the volunteer coordinator for the media center at bth recent PGAs, I’ll see if I can find his name in my records.

41. @arikhanson I see how it goes. And which team is currently undefeated in non-conference play and ranked higher than your precious Jayhawks, right now? We’ll see who is really better on February 4th though. M-I-Z!!! :)

42. ginidietrich says:

So you don’t like sports, do you?

43. Lkinoshita says: