The Gen X social media talent gap–and what it means for corporate America

I’ve noticd an alarming trend lately–there seems to be significant amount of good YOUNG social media talent (22-30 year-olds), but very little strong social/digital talent between the ages of 30-45.

Talent

Good news for me, I guess–I’m 40 and fall right in the Gen X sweet spot. I have 18-plus years of experience in the corporate and agency worlds in marketing and communications. And 4-5 years experience with social/digital (not a ton, but enough considering the discipline hasn’t been around that long). Only problem is, I’m not looking for a corporate or agency job :)

But, what I continue to see if a lack of talent at the mid- to senior-levels in the social/digital arenas.

Why do I say this? I get emails from friends/colleagues around Minneapolis/St. Paul and they’re all looking for the same person. That mid- to senior-level digital/social media counselor/director with deep experience in marketing and some experience in digital/social.

Except they don’t exist–at least not in big numbers.

And that has huge consequences for corporate America. Here’s why:

Kids may be leading your social media work

I’m not saying this as a blanket statement, because obviously it’s not true across the board. But, more often times than not, the agency teams I’ve seen pulled together by big and small agencies alike are built with junior-level talent. Nothing wrong with that–and I’m not judging these younger pros. In many cases, these junior-level folks are smart as all get out. But, they are still kids with a handful of years of experience in many cases. They simply lack experience. So, you just have to know what you’re getting into–and what you’re paying for.

A lack of social strategic thinking

Listen, I’m not saying the junior-level folks are incapable of strategic thought. Like I said, they’re smart as hell in some cases. But, they’re also inexperienced. I mean, it is what it is, right? We were ALL inexperienced at one point. And that has a downside. We need more mid- to senior-level folks who understand business and marketing strategy and can integrate digital strategy seamlessly. As I think about all the requests I’ve received locally lately, I can honestly say there just aren’t that many people around (that aren’t happily employed) who can do that in the 30-45 year-old age range. And this, in a market (MSP), where we pride ourselves on creative and digital talent. If that’s the case here, what’s the pipeline look like in St. Louis, or Denver, or Cleveland (no offense to those markets)?

The wrong people in the wrong roles

When companies can’t find ideal fits for these senior social/digital roles, they turn to the next best thing–people with *some* of the skills, but not all. And right now, that’s the only option they have because of this talent hole. The long-term effect–you get people in senior-level roles within organizations that have no business being in those roles. This surely isn’t the first time this has happened in modern history, but I’m seeing a need for this senior social/digital role. And, to be frank, the supply just isn’t keeping up with the demand.

What do you think? Is there really a significant talent hole for digital marketing/PR talent in the 30-45 year-old age range? Or, am I just making that up? And, does that hole have consequences for corporate America? Would love everyone’s thoughts on this one…

93 comments on “The Gen X social media talent gap–and what it means for corporate America

1. kmskala says:

lulugrimm I would also like to win the lottery, but I can’t get everything I want ūüėČ

2. lulugrimm says:

kmskala LOL!!!!!!!!

3. Erocdotusa says:

tressalynne arikhanson I’m also perplexed by this. No such thing as having 7-9 yrs #SM experience. 2-4 is more realistic.

4. cloudspark says:

kmskala smart to look for talent not tied to a channel, but skills that are much broader. c: arikhanson

5. MHarrisWriter says:

Erocdotusa tressalynne arikhanson That was one obstacle I faced when looking for FT employment. Job posts =/= reality.

6. kmskala says:

nathaneide arikhanson There’s issues w/ candidates & companies. But that’s why it’s an exciting field to be in. Beats being in accounting.

7. DaveOstlund says:

arikhanson TY. Appreciate your help.

kmskala what do you have against the accounting industry? :)

Erocdotusa One problem, yes.

10. kmskala says:

arikhanson I just want them to stop questioning my expense reports!

11. mplsgossipgirl says:

My opinion: ¬†If you cannot hire the talent you want because of cost, train the talent. Most younger people don’t have the experience but with a little training could be the right person for the job.

12. Jamiekefgwlun says:

BabsSegal http://t.co/uxzCQGhERBERB

@mplsgossipgirl¬†Eventually, yes. But you can’t really have a 25-year-old in charge of digital at even a mid-sized company. Not slamming Millennials, but it’s a simple business experience issue.

@BabsSegal¬†First, you don’t like long, harsh winters? But the 3-month summers are so beautiful here! :) I disagree–I see a big talent hole on the senior side and it’s gaping. And, I don’t think MSP agencies need to recruit outside MSP. We have a TON of top-flight creative talent here. Just because we’re “fly over country” doesn’t mean we don’t have talent :)

@ColleenMick¬†Good point. Your “personal profile” seems to count for TOO much, in some folks’ eyes. But, I still say people like you and me are in short supply out there. Especially if you think about digital folks who are KU grads! :)

@cloudspark¬†I had no idea the Millennials outnumbered us THAT badly. That explains a lot…

@ssmirnov¬†You’re right. I thought about upping the age range. It probably is closer to 35. I know a lot of 30 year olds that are just rocking it right now.

@kmskala¬†You just proved my point, sir. There aren’t a lot of Tony Saucier’s walking around in MSP. And nationally, same with Adam. That’s exactly what I’m talking about…

19. adamkmiec says:

kmskala arikhanson I have a LOT of thoughts on this. Better over a beer. I don’t think Arik is too far off. Easier to explain in person.

20. adamkmiec says:

arikhanson kmskala that’s because most organizations think they only need 1 tsauce when in fact, do thrive they need multiple.

21. mplsgossipgirl says:

@arikhanson  @mplsgossipgirl
    ¬†Agree. I don’t think that would be a good choice. Since at that company there would be no one to train that person.

adamkmiec You’re prob right there. I also think my third point is prob the biggest issue right now…

23. adamkmiec says:

kmskala arikhanson 3 links to get you started on where my head is at http://t.co/XGafRT7sqRshttp://t.co/B2QqRu7V91Rhttp://t.co/u5dLC2Ncfs5dLC2Ncfs

adamkmiec I’m also on record: We need fewer Adam Kmiecs. Not more. Can you imagine an army of Kmiecs? God help us ūüėČ

25. adamkmiec says:

arikhanson also, in all seriousness there’s a shortage of amazing talent‚Ķand amazing jobs http://t.co/qPGaE7j1dc1dc

adamkmiec “social media has made it more challenging to find amazing talent.” Contrary to most things you hear…

27. kristinlenander says:

Interesting post. There was just a story on the news that the current HR reasoning of “we can’t fill positions because people don’t have the skills” may not be as widespread as once thought.¬†

I think that many corporations and hiring managers are QUICK to assume that younger folks don’t have ability to be strategic, simply because of age/current role. When in reality, they have the abilities but aren’t (allowed? encouraged?) to participate in strategic decisions because of their position on the totem pole. Not saying it’s the norm, by any means, but certainly probable for a few.

I’d also argue that there are a lot of Gen Xers that lack strategic abilities – at least judging by some “social media strategy” presentations I’ve been to lately.

28. So here is the biggest problem. The people hiring do not know really what they want because A. No vision, goals, objects, and tactics to execute. B.evaluating the team that is necessary to drive out and execute those business goals, objectives and tactics. C. Reputation and budget.  So A and C are the critical components to delivering. C. is the most problematic.

The reputation of most companies they have no clue how to do business in this new world. Yes it is a new world of getting shit done. Now ¬†there some things we should still be doing honest, ethics, and building good business relationships. Companies have not adapted how to do business which affects who they hire. If they don’t really know what they are looking for and this really evident in interviews and job postings, do you really want to work there?

Arik this happens a lot in the career skill set I have. Companies need to look at results data to find the right people, very few companies know how to do this!

29. paulschantz says:

lisa_ray arikhanson …but do you (or do you WANT to) live in MSP area?

paulschantz Winters suck, I can’t lie, but this is overall a fantastic place to live…

31. paulschantz says:

arikhanson As a native Californian, I can’t relate to hard winters. Earthquakes, fires, riots, sure‚Ķbut cold weather? No way!

32. Neil06ors says:

arikhanson http://t.co/VDe7AY9H8rH8r

33. BabsSegal says:

@arikhanson¬†I said, “using Minneapolis/St.Paul as an example” ¬†since the conversation is taking place there. ¬†I know first hand what a great town Minneapolis is, however isn’t the conversation about a shortage of talent.

34. lisa_ray says:

paulschantz arikhanson Live here, love it! Well, not today, but give it a couple weeks.

35. lisa_ray says:

paulschantz And I work in student affairs, too! #satech

36. paulschantz says:

lisa_ray Student Affairs and #satech REPRESENT!

37. mplsgossipgirl says:

arikhanson great post today! Good conversation.

mplsgossipgirl Thx. Love your IG pics on your site!

@kristinlenander¬†I hope I was clear in saying I don’t think younger folks are incapable of strategic thought. I just think you need some experience under your belt to participate at a certain level consistently. For some younger people, they can rise to that level. But, I’d say most can’t. Not yet. They just need that time. Call it a maturation process. Side note: I’ve never understood why younger people are in a big rush to get higher on the corp ladder. They do know that those jobs entail sitting in meetings ALL DAY right? That they’re very stressful. That they will have no life. I mean, what’s the big rush to do THAT? And I would definitely agree with your point about Xers. We are certainly not off the hook. Which goes straight to my main point: A lack of talent at that level.

@keithprivette¬†OK, I’ll play Devil’s Advocate because this is hardly the first time this “reputation” issue has come up. My question: how are companies supposed to adapt if the talented individuals won’t go work for them and help them turn it around? At some point, doesn’t that need to happen? How else is it going to happen? I’m not ready to throw companies under the bus on that point yet. But, it also plays to my main point: Talent is in the power position. Especially senior talent. They have their choice of jobs. And they can pick and choose for this very reason. You could almost make that argument among A-list talent at the younger ages, too, right now.

41. ValerieSimon says:

Interesting post. After reading, I decided to go back to the recent Pew Social Media Demographics  report from Feb. Statistics do show that a higher percentage of those in the 18-29 category use social networking sites than the 30-49 category (83% vs 77%), Significant, but certainly not a tremendous difference. I believe the reason you find fewer experienced dedicated social/digital professionals is not because of a lack of talent, but that  there are fewer high paying jobs that are exclusively social/digital. In most corporate organizations a social media specialist, ( sometimes a SM manager and less frequently a SM strategist) reports up to a Director or VP of Marketing (or possibly PR, Advertising, Communications etc). While there are certainly some organizations that have senior level positions dedicated to social, I think many companies do not have the resources and are embracing an integrated strategy where leadership positions require strategic responsibilities across channels.

42. KirkHazlett says:

Some good questions in this post, @arikhanson¬†, but I also have to agree with what @ValerieSimon¬†says. Social media, although it has been with us for what seems like forever, is still an evolving piece of the total planning process. Those of us who are have been around longer (my students say “old”; I say “experienced”) are still to some extent wrapping our collective heads around effective incorporation of social media into our corporate/client planning processes. While the Gen-Xers want things to move more quickly, we (Boomers) are still, to a great extent, in the driver’s seat. As we move on to greener retirement pastures, the younger, more social media savvy pros will step in and step up. I believe that is when you will start seeing more calls for senior, “experienced” social media pros for leadership positions. The next five years will be very interesting…just be patient!! :-)

43. @arikhanson¬†I agree to a certain extent, but talk with some of those a-Players and see why they left most companies, because they did try this and it is exhausting and becomes less fun and challenging about 8mos into trying to help the company turn. ¬†Think about it how much the outside world changes in 6mos. You spend 8mos beating head against the wall building the “coalition of the willing” – David Armano then the world changes and now you are behind again. A-Players want to be on the leading edge of things and when it takes 12mos to even get a company to 3 years behind the curve, the A-player is now a year behind the curve also. It is tough. Companies that want to change, change from both directions and you see that by how they hire at the top and bottom. When a company only makes a couple of key hires every year or so, they are not doing with a company shift in mind. Technology helps, leadership helps, but ultimately sociology, psychology a behaviors have to change for any of this to be effective. ¬†Let’s face it A-Players go where other A-Players are at because they see the shifts and want to be apart of it. That is why you see more and A-Players being attracted to the startup communities. High impact, put A-Player skills to the test, and make real impacts that are seen almost everyday. I agree Arik this is a tough egg to crack especially for those Fortune 1000 companies.